Friday 25 July 2014

Outwit banks - Failed transactions

Recently I was in an ATM to withdraw money.
I did not know how much balance I had in the account exactly. 
As always, I typed a figure close to my estimate of what is remaining in the account. The transaction was rejected saying, "Transaction declined". 

I tried again, with a more closer value. Again the same happened. 
Then I put a lower figure and money was disbursed from the ATM. 

I used to do like this in the past when I did not know the exact amount of money in the bank. Only when I reached home and checked the online bank statement I recognised that SBI (State bank of India) has debited Rs. 17 each for the failed transaction. 

I was shocked for loosing Rs. 34. I searched the whether there are any recent changes in the bank policy regarding ATM and came to know that since this Jan 2014, there has been a change and they are going to penalise for failed transactions for no fault of the bank.

So, next time you are at an ATM withdrawing money, first take a mini-statement to know the balance.
(I thought of saving the paper cost by not printing the acknowledgement, but anything to save Rs. 17)

The rates for other government and private banks are much higher than SBI. 
Be cautious.

"People who learn from their mistakes are wise, but people who learn from others mistakes are wiser."

No comments:

Post a Comment